Wednesday, December 24, 2008

shepherds


I like that the first people to see Jesus were shepherds. They were dirty and smelly and pretty much outcasts to religion. They weren't allowed in synagogues or temples because they were around dead animals all day. They weren't allowed to come to the parties and festivities in Jerusalem. I bet the churchy people (synagogue-y people?) weren't big fans of shepherds.

I wonder who is the equivalent to shepherds today. Maybe homeless people? Or poor people? Or those those kids that wear all black? Hurting people? Broken people? The people that don't have it all together? I don't know. All I know is that the angels told the shepherds about Jesus first, not the priest or pharisees. I really like that.

I guess this is just some foreshadowing.

And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger." Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests."
Luke 2:8-14


Merry Christmas.
Don't forget the shepherds.

2 comments:

Dan said...

this one got no respect, but it is so good.

Anonymous said...

I like your brain, I love your heart!