Monday, March 2, 2009

Atticus, you're my hero.

To kill a mockingbird is my favorite book. Atticus Finch is my hero.


He knew there was no way a black man accused of raping a white young woman would ever go free. He knew society was racist. He recognized the violence, hypocrisy, injustice, and ignorance of the world he lived in. He knew he is going to lose. But that didn't matter. He went to court and fought the fight as best he could. Not because he had to, but because it was what he believed in.

I can be apathetic when it comes to ceretain things... Especially if I know I'm going to lose. I need to be more like Atticus.

"This case, Tom Robinson's case, is something that goes to the essence of a man's conscience-Scout, I couldn't go to church and worship God if I didn't try to help that man."
-Atticus Finch

2 comments:

jeremy said...

i *love* to kill a mokingbird. i *love* that quote.

ugh. that makes me want to go and read it this minute.

good post, jer.

Nathan Willis said...

that's the first book i ever cried in.

am i a bad Christian because i cried during that book before i cried while reading the Bible?